Frequently Asked Questions

What is AAC?

Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) includes all forms of communication (other than oral speech) that are used to express thoughts, needs, wants, and ideas. We all use AAC when we make facial expressions or gestures, use symbols or pictures, or write. People with severe speech or language problems rely on AAC to supplement existing speech or replace speech that is not functional. Special augmentative aids, such as picture and symbol communication boards and electronic devices, are available to help people express themselves. This may increase social interaction, school performance, and feelings of self-worth. (

How do I know if my child needs therapy?

Does your child have a formal diagnosis (Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Language Delay)? Contrary to popular belief, Speech-Language Pathologists do not only treat children who have a stutter or who can't pronounce their 'R's. Our scope of practice is diverse - refer to the link under 'Resources' labeled 'Scope of Practice' for more information. Still unsure? Call me - that's what I'm here for!

But my child gets speech at school!

School-based speech-language pathologists do a wonderful job preparing your child for academics. Their job is to ensure that their students have access to the curriculum and can participate fully with their classroom. However, a private SLP, such as Blossom Therapies of Florida, will help you and your family communicate more effectively with your child. We hold our sessions in the home or anywhere in the community your child has trouble communicating (e.g., with peers at the park, with a waitress at their favorite restaurant). Of course, we ensure an open line of communication with your child's school-based SLP to ensure strategies are carried over between environments. Call today to see how we can help you and your family!